Last Reviewed on Thursday 28th August 2020
The Torbay & Devon Civic Award is a local community service that governs and managed the Torbay and Devon Civic Award which invites Year 6 students and Torbay & Devon based schools to participate within.
We promise to respect any personal data that you are happy to share with us or allow other organisations to give to us. This policy explains how we use any information we collect about you, and how we have put procedures in place to meet our legal obligations and ensure that we protect your privacy.
We will make sure that the personal information collected by The Torbay & Devon Award is used legally, ethically and appropriately, and that confidentiality is maintained.
There are seven key principles which apply when considering requests for personal data which are:
- Justify the purpose
- Don’t use personal confidential data unless it is absolutely necessary
- Use the minimum necessary personal confidential data
- Access to personal confidential data should be on a strict need-to-know basis
- Everyone with access to personal confidential data should be aware of their responsibility
- Comply with the law
- The duty to share information can be as important as the duty to protect confidentiality
- Our contact details for any questions about your personal data
- How and why we collect your personal data
- What data we collect and why
- Who we share your data with and why
- How long we will keep your details
- Your rights regarding your data
- ICO contact details
Our Contact Details
If you have any queries concerning your personal data, please contact Gary Vine by emailing email@example.com
How we collect your personal data
We may automatically collect certain data from you as you use our website by using cookies IP address and similar technologies. We may collect data about you by you providing the data directly to us by:
What data we collect and why
The Torbay and Devon Civic Award primarily communicates directly with primary schools within Devon. The only records we maintain:
- Name of School Headteacher, teacher or primarily the teacher coordinating the award in the school.
- School name and address (including post code).
- School contact telephone number.
- School contact email address.
For Independent and home-school students we will obtain the following information:
- Name of legal Parent / Guardian responsible for the student.
- Name and age of student.
- Contact telephone number.
- Contact email address.
- Contact postal address.
- We do not store any information about any student that participates in the Torbay and Devon Civic Award.
- We store statistical information such as; how many schools participated, how many students passed, how many were male, how many were female – this information does not identify any individual student.
- Students names will appear on the website to announce their successful achievement. This information is provided by the schools and in accordance with our Photographic and Publishing Policy.
- We do publish news stories that features students names and the school they belong to. This information is either provided by Schools or parents / guardians.
- Where organisations such as “charities” contact us with news regarding a Torbay and Devon Civic Award participant, this will only be published with the consent of the School the student is a pupil of.
- We may receiving feedback forms from students, parents, guardians, assessors, teachers. This information is held securely by Gary Vine and Karen Thomson. This information is not publicly released unless permission is granted.
- Any feedback forms do not include any personal contactable information such as email, telephone numbers or addresses.
- It is the responsibility of the school to ensure that we only publish names of students and any photos containing the students and that the school has the necessary content from legal parents and guardians.
- Any legal parent or guardian who do not require their child to be featured on the site are asked not to be included in any photos or group shots that will be featured on the website. If a group shot is still required with the non permissible child then a second photo “group” shot can be taken and distributed privately on the condition it meets the approval of other legal parents / guardians and the school.
- Feedback forms are only kept to measure participants and supporters of the Torbay and Devon Civic Award which we may use to improve the quality of the Torbay and Devon Civic Award.
- Any quotes featured on any feedback forms will only be publically released upon the approval of the person providing the quote or a parent / guardian if the person is under and including 13 years old.
We ask for this information so that we can:
For Schools / Independent Students:
- Respond to any communication received by either email or post (any phone conversation is not recorded).
- Send communications to teachers who coordinate the award, along with with senior Education and Council officials (such emails will be sent as a blind copy as to not reveal the email addresses of other persons receiving the same communication.
- The only official persons permitted to send any bulk email to all the schools are Karen Thomson (Award Founder & Award coordinator) and Gary Vine of Aspire Direct Marketing (Technology and Admin Support)
- We only send bulk emails to schools that to our knowledge are active within the Torbay and Devon Civic Award. Any school receiving emails but not an activate participant can email firstname.lastname@example.org to be removed from any such communication.
- We only maintain statistical information of numbers which helps us to measure the success of the award with how many students are passing and split into male / female.
- We may store information of unsuccessful students (if this is provided).
- We will never store students names to measure the above statistical results.
We may also use this information to:
- Keep a record of your relationship with us.
- Provide you with any information you ask from us.
- Manage how you would like to receive information and news from us, and what information you would like to receive.
- Understand how we can improve our information.
- Understanding our online demographic.
- Understanding our measurement of student successes.
- To protect your vital interests.
Who we share your data with and why?
- The Torbay & Devon Civic Award promises never to sell or share your data with any third party for marketing purposes.
- We may also need to disclose your details if required to by the police, regulatory bodies or legal advisers and will only do so if a verifiable warrant is issued for any such request.
How long we will keep your details
- All data is remained on our systems for as long as it is relevant and necessary.
- In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Your rights regarding your data
- You have the right to withdraw your consent to receive information materials from us at any time.
- You can change your preferences and consent by emailing email@example.com.
- Withdrawing your consent to marketing communications does not mean that we will never contact you. We may need to talk to you about administrative matters in order to process a transaction or for another business reason.
- You have the right to request that we delete your data in full. We will need to confirm your identity and contact firstname.lastname@example.org
|Access||You can ask for the personal information we hold about you and for details about how and for what purpose we use your information.|
|Rectification||You can ask us to correct any personal information that is inaccurate or incomplete.|
|Objection||You can ask us to stop processing your personal information in certain circumstances.|
|Restrictions||You can ask us to temporarily stop processing your personal information in certain circumstances while other challenges are resolved.|
|Erasure||You can ask us to delete any information we hold about you if the law and our data retention policies no longer require us to hold it.|
|Data Portability||You can ask us for copies of the information we hold about you so that you can move, copy or transfer personal data easily from one IT environment to another.|
|Automated decisions / profiling||You have the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which has legal effects for you or affects you in any other significant way.|
We have put in place security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used, altered, disclosed, or accessed without authorisation. We also allow access to your personal data only to those people who have a need to know such data.
We have procedures in place to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach if we are legally required to.
Information Commissioner’s Office Details
If you are not happy with any aspect of how we collect and use your data, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk).
We should be grateful if you would contact us first if you do have a complaint so that we can try to resolve it for you.