2019 / 2020 is our 16th Torbay and Devon Civic Award and set to be our biggest year so far with an impressive 40 Primary Schools from all corners of Devon joining us.
This year we welcome 8 new primary schools:
- Abbotskerswell Primary School
- Blackpool C of E Primary School
- Berry Pomeroy C of E Primary School
- Lympstone C of E Primary School
- Newton Ferrers C of E Primary School
- Oldway Primary School Primary School
- Roselands Primary School Primary School
- Offwell C of E Primary School
In order to be a successful Torbay & Devon Civic Award graduate, Year 6 students will work through five elements:
- Active Citizenship in their school community.This could be Peer Mediation, Learning and Peer Mentors, Reading Buddies, School Councillors or other positions of trust and responsibility in school.
- Active Citizenship in their home communities. In the past, pupils have taken part in environmental and beach cleans, bulb planting, helping at Brownies /Cubs/sports clubs and looking after people in the community. Pupils may also work with others to organise events in school to support local charities.
- An active hobby(ies) and A non-active hobby (ies). Children should be committed to their hobbies and one of them needs to be new to the child from September 2019
- Residential experience and adventure training. This entails sleeping away from home and taking part in outdoor challenges.
- Children also need to adopt a cause or charity which they feel strongly about. They need to research it and find ways of supporting it. Over the years children have adopted a range of charities including Animals In Distress, Rowcroft, Cancer Research, Bristol Children’s Hospital and Help for Heroes. Many were inspired to support these because of events in their own lives and have held various sales and sponsored events to raise money for their chosen charities.
In June all participating Year 6 students will be assessed in their schools by an external assessor. They will need to prove participation in each of the elements of the award.All successful students will be invited to an Awards Ceremony where they, their families and their schools can celebrate their wonderful achievements with local dignitaries. These will be held at Uffculme School and St Cuthbert Mayne schools – dates to follow…